Penrhyn Quarry Railway Fullersite dropside wagonMPM8 • by Meridian Models
The Penrhyn Quarry Railway (1879 - 1962) carried quarry output from Bethesda to Porth Penrhyn. After the First World War a by-product of slate quarrying was developed in finely graded slate powder, given the trade name ‘Fullersite’. This was used as a filler for things such as road asphalt mixed with bitumen. The bagged product was conveyed from the quarry in a fleet of 4 wheeled wagons designed specif- ically. A total of approximately 90 wagons of 2 types were built in small batches of 20 or so at a time - lift out sides, with heavy timber staunchions and dropside. Our kit is of a wagon in the last batch, No. 85, with iron floor and ends and 2 plank dropsides. A similar wagon may be viewed at Penrhyn Castle Museum.
Please note this is a scale model for adult collectors, and not intended for children under 14 years of age.